I realized the other day that one of the main reasons I have not been writing every day (or exercising) is because I am so tired lately. I have a rotten case of insomnia and have for the past 3-4 weeks. I have been crazy busy and not following my night time routine which really helps me quiet my mind and get to sleep. So, I decided to re-implement my routine AND to re-acquaint myself with some of the great Ayurvedic remedies for insomnia.
There are dozens of effective, natural ways to induce restful sleep. Tonight I am just going to list them out and start doing them again myself. Over the next week or so, I will write how-tos on each technique:
- Meditate for 20 minutes in the late afternoon or early evening before dinner
- Eat dinner by 7pm and leave at least 2 hours before bed
- Drink warm milk with nutmeg, cardamon and almonds or chamomile tea
- Practice restorative yoga like savasana, reclining hero, bridge or legs up the wall pose
- Take a hot bath with calming essential oils like lavender, rose or jasmine
- Massage the scalp, temples and feet with warm sesame or almond oil
- Turn TV and all devices off my 10 pm and get into bed by 11pm - latest
- Practice pranayama techniques like alternate nostril breathing and bumble bee breath
- Practice So-Hum meditation in bed - start seated and then lie down on your back
I would also love to hear some of your techniques for getting to sleep pharma-free. Please share!!!